Thursday, March 8, 2007

Complete and utter nonsense

I had forgotten that children at around age 3 often go through a stage of making up completely new words and using them in full sentences. Much to my amusement, the following are some of the delightful conversations and situations I have found myself in over the last few days. . .

1. As James is charging at me dressed up as a knight, and wielding a sword, he yells "You're a pleat in the roscious!" (Is that even how you spell roscious?)

2. When discussing the days of the week, a hot topic at preschool these days, he asks "What is after Saturday?" (I answer) "What is after Sunday?" (I answer again) "What is after Mansickus?" Pardon!? What are they teaching you at that preschool anyway??

3. As I am sitting at the computer writing emails, he approaches me with a very serious look on his face and says "When's the bunkabumpa?" I answer "The bunkabumpa?" "Nooooo!" says he with great indignation, "The backadenta!" Oh, right. My mistake.


I'm not worried, though, this does run in the family. Auntie K used to do this when she was small and, strangely enough, it turns out she is now a diction expert. Perhaps James will invent a new language or something.

No comments: